Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Classical Elements

This week's contest description:  Photograph the classical elements: Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Difficulty: Each entry should primarily represent a single element and each must be a different element. Note: You may post up to 4 vote enabled photos for this contest, but you are not required to do so.

Naturally, I wanted to do four entries, but there were only two that I thought I had in the bag, so to speak, so the other two I needed to figure out.  None of these I think are all that strong, but I've been focusing on other areas of life for the last few weeks or so, so photography has sort of taken a back seat while I settle everything else so I can have more fun with this again. 

Earth:
I hardly think this will be original.

Wind:
The only one I really liked.  Got this on a windy day.  Since wind/air isn't able to be seen, one must go with photographing its influence on things, such as wind blowing objects, like a wind chime.

Fire:
I live with pyromaniacs, what can I say?  We usually have a few bonfires in the summer, roast marshmallows, etc.  Can make for some interesting pictures.

Water:
Realized today as I was archive diving that I was thinking about water all wrong.  Who said it had to be not solid and flowing?  No one.  Ice and snow, while solid, are still water.  So, I went with this iced up bristle brush taken this winter after a slight thaw followed by a plunge into cold again.

 The B-Sides:

Alternate Earth 1:
While this does convey earth, ground, I just have a stronger feeling about the actual dirt one, so that's why I'm going with that.

Alternate Earth 2:
Couldn't decide between this one and the one above.  I also didn't want to use my kids this contest, so left this one as an alternate.

Alternate Fire 1:
Like the earth ones above, I felt stronger about the entry than this one.  Huge propane torch being used to melt caked up ice.

Alternate Fire 2:
Same propane torch as above being used to melt ice.

That's all for this week.  I'll be here next week most definitely for "Puddytats 2," which I'm looking forward to.  Keiran the kitty cat has provided some pretty good pictures I think, so I have quite a few of him to choose from, indoors and outdoors.  Thanks for stopping by.  Feel free to leave commentary.

No comments: