Monday, November 7, 2011

Gamer Boy Atrus


Hello, Blogger Land.  This was just too cute/cool not to share.  I shared these on Google+ already with a back story, so apologies if you're reading this twice.

Atrus was getting antsy for something to do on Saturday.  Daddy made a remark that maybe it was time for Atrus to get a Gameboy or something.  My first thought was he's not getting mine, and then my second thought was do I have anything that he could actually play, being only 5 years old?  I received this Gameboy 10 years ago as a Christmas gift (I believe) because that year we were traveling some to visit my Grandpa before he went to the Great Beyond, and I wanted something to do while I was waiting around in the airport and on the planes, etc.  Surprisingly (as I'm thinking back on this), my parents got me this.  I'd never actually had a gaming system before (I realize this is a limited one, but still), and my sister and I grew up without video games.  To this day, I only have at most a half dozen games for the thing, and I might not even have 6, actually. 

Well, I mulled things over for a bit before deciding to let him try it.  I figured he could try out Tetris and see what he though.  Daddy mentioned Space Invaders to me, which I kept out just to be sure and figured Daddy could show him how that worked.  I sat with Atrus in front of me and showed him what the buttons do and how they made things work, I played out a quick level with him showing him what the game was about.  Then, I let him use it.  He seemed to take right to it, though didn't quite get things.  I asked Daddy to help him with it since Daddy has a way with words and explaining things to Atrus that often times will fail me.  Daddy showed him a few things, then let him go nuts.

Playing Tetris here ^
and here.

Probably here, too; I forget.

Then, Daddy showed him Space Invaders, which for Atrus at this stage is pretty much a button masher.  He seemed to really enjoy that one.  He even got to level 10.

Love the tongue sticking out here.  :)

I had him put the Gameboy away once Little Chancellor woke up from his nap as I didn't want Atrus fighting to keep it from Chance and then losing the game or something.  Besides, he had already been entranced by the game for 2 to 3 hours.  I think he likes it!

If we can find more games for it that are at his level, then we might get them.  Otherwise, he might just be stuck playing Space Invaders and Tetris for a while until we get him something else to play on. 

That's all I wanted to share.  I'll be back on Wednesday night with something for the Farktography contest.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: