Monday, July 15, 2013

Visit To Fort Point (pic heavy)

I wanted to make it to the coast this summer.  I usually like going and I love smelling the salty sea air every once in a while.  After deliberations and looking at the gazetteer, Husband an I settled on Fort Point.  We'd go there, have lunch, look around, and then head over to Sandy Point Beach and spend the rest of the day until we went home.  Pretty simple, laid back kind of day while learning a little bit about Maine's history.

As the trip coincided with a Build & Grow clinic day, we stopped to do that first.  The boys would have a little something to play with in the car when they were done building it. This week's clinic was building the Pizza Planet Truck from Toy Story.


Keeping Chance focused sometimes is difficult, but he does like certain parts.


This was a little off, but it works.  We opted to do the stickering later.


And this is what happens when someone doesn't pay attention to the directions and just starts hammering away, then is mad when his kit isn't coming out right.  We took the rest of the pieces; Dad might be able to fix it so Atrus can keep going and finish it. 


So after that was over, we headed down to the coast to Fort Point, which is in Stockton Springs.  We found some picnic tables, chose one, and had some lunch.  After we were all sated, we headed out to look around.


Information station in the parking area.


The State Park welcoming area.  They had the State Park Passports here, which I wasn't sure they were still doing, but am glad they are because we were able to pick up one for each boy.  I'll definitely be making a point of going to all the state parks with them now.


Information station telling a bit about the history of Fort Point and its lighthouse.


Pretty flower. :)


The apple doesn't fall from the tree. :)  Mom likes to take pictures of the signs to remember what they said.


Some interesting history.  At some point during the Revolutionary War, the Brits came in at night and took the guns in Fort Pownall.  In retaliation, the American Rebs filled in the moat, preventing the Brits from going anywhere. 


It was a very pretty day.


You can definitely see the leftovers from the war, the moat, and how it was all put together.


There's the lighthouse!


Passport station.  Had I realized that the combination for the lock was actually in the passport, the boys would have gotten their stamps for Fort Point.  Guess that means we'll have to go back and get it later. 


Over to the Bell Tower.  The bell is rung on foggy days.


The bell is in the back.  I believe someone goes in the building to ring it.  Or they used to.  I don't think it's done there any more.


The bell.  I handed the camera over to Dad so he could get me in the picture.  That's my Dad with me and the boys.


You can tell the bell had been used quite a few times, the flattening on the ringer and the marks of wear on the bell.  I think the contraption at the top prevents it from being rung these days.


Drake Bell Company.  U.S. Lighthouse.  Established 1890.


The pulley system inside that rings the bell. 


There's the lighthouse. 


I don't know what that is out there in the bay, but I thought it was cool.


Grandma and Atrus.


What they were reading.


This is a Fresnel lens, I believe the information stuff said it was a Fresnel 4 lens?


Another piece from the original building.


Beautiful day.  That's actually part of the Penobscot River, not the Ocean, but it's ocean water, not fresh.


Good day for sailing.


Fort Pownall.  Erected and named by General Thomas Pownall in 1759.  General Samuel Waldo, for whom Waldo County was named, was buried here.  Removed to Kings Chapel Bust.  Erected by John Cocran Chap. D. A. P. 1916.



After we were done at Fort Point, we went over to Sandy Point Beach.   Alex brought along one of his kites, the parafoil.  He doesn't take it out much.  He enjoyed it, though.

Dad was point not at me, but behind me to the old wharf that was still there.  There was a big nest, and he saw some birds there, thought I could get some pictures of them.


The dancing kite.


A look partly north.  That's the Penobscot Narrows Bridge, and another sailboat.  I believe the sailboat was anchored as it didn't go anywhere.


The birds.  Apologies for the not great quality.  I was at 300 mm on my lens, as far as I could go, and it was the best I could do.


I believe it they were ospreys. 


A mama and two babies or younglings.  I had to look up ospreys when I got home to find out.


The boys enjoyed their time at the beach.  Not sure what Atrus's reason for getting wet then covered in sand over and over was.


I went in the water a bit, but not much.  It was colder than I expected. 


One of many seagulls flying nearby.


In and out of the water constantly. 


After Alex was done with his kite, he got out his metal detector. :)  He brought it just in case he could do it.  Dad was happy to dig if he found anything.


No idea why he covered himself with sand.


A quintessential summer picture.   Also my current desktop background now.


So much for treasure.  He didn't find much, a couple pieces of scrap iron, and an old-time soda pull tab.


The boys do play nicely together on occasion.


We spent a couple hours at the beach before leaving.  We caught the scenic lookout on the way back.


A better view of the Penobscot Narrows Bridge.  It just looks cool.


That's an observatory at the top there.  I think we'll end up there one day, I think the view would be great.  Mom described it as spectacular.


We'll go back to go to Fort Knox as well. 


Really cool.


My second favorite photo from the day.


Fort Knox.  I was there when I was younger, but (obviously) haven't been in ages.  I look forward to going back with the boys.


Last picture of the Narrows Bridge.



Phew.  That's.  I said this post was pic heavy, and I meant it.  I hope you liked looking at the pictures.  Comments are always welcome, so drop a line and let me know what you thought.  I'll be back soon with more pictures (I hope).  Until then, thanks for stopping by!

No comments: