Thursday, June 21, 2012

Acadia National Park

As promised, the Acadia trip!  I had been wanting to take a trip to Acadia this summer with the boys so that Atrus could see the ocean and Thunder Hole.  In talking with The Hubster, we decided on the 16th.  The boys had a great time.

Chance and Grandma.


First stop was Thunder Hole.  It was somewhat of a bust as there wasn't a lot of splashing going on or anything.  First thought was that high tide would be best, then I heard tide going out or in, then low tide.  Perhaps next time we go, it will be better and we'll get to see for ourselves!  Here are a few shots of the water action.



Splashy!


One of the going out times.


Small splash.


 After Thunder Hole, we headed up to a campground area to do a picnic lunch.  Chance got to run around a bit. He is becoming quite the fearless explorer of late.


Fun with Grandpa!


Birthday (cup)cake!


Getting ready to dive in, after we sing Happy Birthday first, of course.


Mmmm.  Frosting good.


Atrus enjoys his cupcake, frosting first naturally. 


Family picture!  Grandpa took this one.


After lunching, we headed down to Seal Harbor to play in the ocean some, explore the beach and perhaps find some tide pools.  There wasn't really a plan.  Chance was tuckered out, so Dad hung out with him in the van while I went with Atrus and Grandma and Grandpa to go explore.  This pattern was made from the ocean going out.  We were there right about the time the tide was at its lowest and wasn't going to come back in yet.


A shot of the rockiness.


At first, Grandma and Atrus were playing to outrun the waves.  Not too long into this, I had Atrus take off his shoes and socks figuring he was going to get wet.


And he and Grandma went hand and hand to put their toes in the Gulf of Maine.


Posing for the camera!


Atrus decided to use this opportunity to splash around and have some fun.  The water was warmer than expected, but it was still cold!  He didn't seem to care or mind.  Good thing I had thought ahead on this and packed an entire change of clothes for both boys plus towels and a change of shoes as well.


Atrus, look what we found!  A clam (?) that was sitting on the beach, presumably left by the tide going out.  We weren't sure if it was dead or not yet, but there was still stuff in it, so we had Atrus put it in the ocean.  You can see here, he's already rather wet.


Seaweed, Barnacles, and Algae (I think) hanging out on the rocks waiting for the tide to come back.


Didn't get a shot of Atrus actually touching the seaweed or the barnacles, but he did.  I tried to show him as much of the beach as we could.  He's seen Finding Nemo who knows how many times, plus Shark Tale, and I'm sure there are another one or two movies that are ocean themed.  He was also fascinated by the aquarium at school in his teacher's room.


Looks like Chance is up and has come to join in on the fun!


Grandma wanted a picture of her with Chance in the ocean, and so Grandpa caught me doing that for her.


I kept a close eye on Chance.  He wanted to hold my hand (sometimes) when going into the water, and he showed inclinations to go further out, but I didn't really want him to go too far out.  Plus given that he's still in diapers, I wasn't sure if he was going to try to plop down in the water or not. 


That was the last thing we did at Acadia.  Daddy was ready to go home and the boys were getting tuckered out.  Per my request, we stopped at a souvenir shop on the way home.  I wanted to get a stuffed animal for Chance for his birthday and I thought since we were going to be at Acadia I could get one from down here.  When I found the stuffed animals there I immediately saw all the lobsters.  I then realized that finding what I wanted to (a puffin) would be next to impossible.  I did see a seal, however, and since we were at Seal Harbor, I figured it appropriate.  Chance got to have his seal, one of two presents from us, on the way home. He seems to have taken a liking to the seal.  He is rather affectionate toward stuffed animals anyway, which is why I wanted to give him one.  The tag said the seal's name was Sammy, but I'm naming him Andre after Andre The Harbor Seal.

After we got home and got everyone unloaded, Dad needed a nap (poor guy was wore out), Atrus wanted to play his GameBoy, and Chance thought he'd have fun with his bead maze (a Christmas present). 


Given this was supposed to be his birthday celebration, I was hoping he'd go after the presents that were about.  He pulled one out of a box, and seeing a bag laying nearby, thought he'd try to put the present in the bag.  In the process of THAT, he found the present for him that I put in there.  The box says 6 months plus, I know, however, in the store there were 3 options and this seemed to be the one he liked best of them all.  He REALLY enjoys pressing buttons and getting noise.


The phone, it turns out, was a great choice.  It completely captivated him.  He played with that the rest of the night.  Thankfully, the sound isn't all that loud so it's easy to ignore it most of the time and not be annoyed by it.


At first he had trouble with the "flipping up" of the phone (it's a slide button), and he'd bring it to me to open it up for him.


But then he'd push it right back down again anyway.  He did figure out how to slide up the top on his own.  Sneaky bugger kept trying to get me to do it until I caught him doing it deliberately!


That ends it for this post.  I hope you liked what you saw.  I'd love to know what you think so drop me a comment to let me know.  I'll likely post tomorrow with Chance's opening of presents.  See you then!

No comments: