Wednesday, October 27, 2010

He's a Fun Guy

Clever play on words, I know, but that's the title of this week's Farktography contest.  The description is: Fungus, lichens, molds, and mosses.   In my quest for suitable entries for this contest, I might have gone a little overboard, but I believe I came up with some decent pictures, and hopefully I'll get some votes. :)

Entry One:
This little guy here was my obvious first choice.  The moment I saw it I couldn't help but think it looked just like the ones that are cartoonized in video games.  From what I've been told though, it's rather poisonous, so I let it be.

(pic pops to embiggen)

Entry Two:
This one is my second entry.  To be honest, I actually shot this one yesterday.  I procrastinated until then to go out and see what I could get in our back yard.  We have LOTS of lichen on all the trees it seems, and until I looked I hadn't noticed the moss before.  I think this one came out pretty good. :)

(pic pops to embiggen)

Entry Three:
This is my third entry.  I noticed some lichen on the ground and on closer inspection, found that there were a few slugs happily eating away.  They must have been taking advantage of the brief warming and wet weather.

(pic pops to embiggen)

The Bee Sides
So those are what I entered.  Here are the rest.

A shot of how much lichen we have around here.  A bit of moss thrown in, too.

(pic pops to embiggen)

Some moss on a tree.

(pic pops to embiggen)

More lichen, with a bit of moss.

(pic pops to embiggen)

Another shroom.  I got the impression that they started out with the edges down and then fanned out with time.

(pic pops to embiggen)

Not sure what is up with this one, but I think it was either a different type of mushroom, or a dead one.  Either way, I thought it was neat.

(pic pops to embiggen)

Another frame of the video-game mushroom with its red and white glory.

(pic pops to embiggen)

Another picture of a slug.  My title for this one was "I'm likin' the lichen."  Stupid and corny, I know.

(pic pops to embiggen)


I hope you enjoyed the photos. That's all for this week.

No comments: